Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Amended Return is Completed - But confused by the IRS wording

The following totally confuses me! 

For my 2022 tax return I have the following on my Schedule D :

Line 14: -236,898

Line 15: -236,898

Line 16: -236,898

line 21:  -3,000

But for my original 2023 tax return I have the following on my Schedule D :

Line 14: Blank (nothing)  

Line 15: Blank (nothing) 

Line 16: 5

Line 21: Blank (nothing)

This is one of the two reasons I filed an amended return - was to correct this omission to use my capital loss carryover. The other reason as I mentioned earlier was because I paid taxes on doubled the amount of imported interest (importing listed the interest amount twice on my return) from one income course, which was very confusing - and this doubled imported interest has happened to other TT users.

My question is why didn't TurboTax automatically carryforward my remaining Capital Loss Carryover for my 2023 tax return? (Which should have been the above 2022 tax return figure on Lines 14, 15 and16 of -236,898 less $3,000.

Why did this happen? What caused the blanks (nothing) on the lines for my 2023 return? 

I was thinking that maybe TurboTax asked if I wanted to use $3k of my carryover and I mistakenly answered 'no'.  I don't know what happened with my 2023 tax return pertaining to my Capital Loss Carryover and I don't know how to fix it!    

To fix it you have to file 1040-x Amendment No.2 that includes a corrected Schedule D and a reduction of AGI on 1040-X line 1 Col C of $3,005 less than the amount in Line 1 Col C of 1040-X No.1 

The remaining lines follow from the tax calculated and the other amounts -- e.g. Line 18 refund -- as adjusted by IRS.

@Bob in Plano 

You said; Regarding your original omission, as far as I know, there is no user-selectable option to not apply a capital loss carryforward. So, how did this omission of my capital loss carryforward happen? 

I sent the Schedule D as part of my 1040X with the correct cap loss figures! My 1040X Amendment had the Schedule D with the correct cap loss carryover figures for 2023.  And my AGI was accurate. With the doubled interest amount removed that lowered the AGI by $2,054, and it was lowered by $3,005 using $3k of my cap loss plus $5 for CIL.  The AGI was correct on Line 1 Column C.

So, I don't see why I would need to file a 1040X No.2 There would be no change from 1040X No.1

You said: If you mailed Form 1040-X and did not attach Schedule D you did not attach the required supporting document.
But my 1040X that I mailed to the IRS did have the correct Schedule D  with accurate cap loss carryover as part of the multiple page amendment I printed and mailed to the IRS .    
You said; Regarding your original omission, as far as I know, there is no user-selectable option to not apply a capital loss carryforward.
Then how did this omission of my capital loss carryforward happen? 

My 1040X Amendment has a corrected Schedule D  already. And my AGI is accurate. With the double imported interest amount removed that lowered the AGI by $2,054, and lowered it by $3,005 for using $3k of my cap loss plus $5 for CIL. 

I don't see why I would need to file a 1040X No.2

What I find troubling about all this, is when I did my 1040X it displayed a refund of $661 when I entered the $3k capital loss carryover. So, why didn't I get a $661 refund to correct not having used my capital loss carryover on my original 1040-SR? 

I'm totally confused because my 1040X shows this:

Summary | Amount to be Refunded $ 1,113.00 (which is for the two corrections of $452 + $661)

Line 7( Capital gain or (loss): -3,000 (Though it did not include the $5 for CIL fractional share.)

I think my Adjusted Gross Income was reduced accordingly per the 1040X entries

I find it confusing in terms of what was wrong with my 1040X, and why it is suggested that I need to file a 1040X No.2 when it seems No.1 was correct with the exception of Line 7 not including the $5 for CIL; it should have been -3,005 instead of -3,000.  Help!  

I'm not getting any meaningful help to accomplish my goal of getting my refund of $661 that has not been paid for one correction in my 1040X although I was paid for another correction in my 1040X. That was th purpose of starting this thread...   

I have reviewed my original 1040-SR  tax return that had blanks (nothing) for my capital loss carryover on Lines14, 15 and  21 of Schedule D, but the $5 for CIL was on Line 16.

My AGI on the  original 1040-SR filing was $192,129 but that included $4,108 interest from one payee which should have been half that amount or only $2,054 (because it was imported twice, so by correcting the interest with my 1040X  that correction lowered my AGI by $2,054. Then, with the $3,005 for Capital loss plus $5 for CIL this reduced my 1040X AGI to $187,070 ($192,129 - $2,054 - $3,005 = $187,070).   $187,070 AGI is clearly shown as the corrected AGI amount on my 1040X for Line 1 Column C.   This confirms the reduction of AGI is correct on my 1040X.

With respect to the Schedule D, I have reviewed my 1040X that  I mailed to the IRS to correct the interest issue and for not using $3k of my capital loss carryover. And I think the Schedule D in my 1040X is correct and was sent as part of my 1040X Amendment filing as follows: 

On both Lines 3 & 7 of the 1040X Schedule D Part l was: $5. for CIL of a fractional share

On Line 14 of the 1040X Schedule D Part ll was: 233,898 (there is no minus sign before the figure)

(This is the correct capital loss carryover amount for tax year 2023 as shown on my 2022 tax return)

On Line 15 of the 1040X Schedule D Partll was: -233,898 (with a minus sign before the figure) 

(This is the correct capital loss carryover amount for tax year 2023 as shown on my 2022 tax return)

On Line 21 of the 1040X Schedule D Part lll was: 3,000.

My AGI on my 1040X is $187,070 - this reflects the reduction of $5,059 from the $192,129 AGI on my original 1040-SR - by virtue of a $2,054 reduction that came about from correcting the double importing of interest that I earned from one payee and the reduction of $3,005 for $3k of my capital loss carryover plus $5 CIL of fractional share; ($2,054 + $3,005= $5,059 reduction from the $192,129 AGI on my original 1040-SR  equals $187,070.

Everything about my 1040X that I mailed to the IRS seems to be accurate. 

All the above figures for my 1040X that I mailed to the IRS appears to me to be totally accurate and the correct entries to amend my original 1040-SR that needed two corrections; (1) to correct the omitted $3k capital loss carryover plus $5 for CIL and (2) for paying taxes on $2,054 too much interest.

My 1040X cover sheet even stated the correct total amount of the refund the IRS said I was to receive:

Amount to be Refunded $ 1,113.00  I agree that this $1,113 is the correct amount ;c/o $452 for the interest correction & $661 for the $3k cap loss correction)  

I'm at a loss to understand why anything different or further is needed by the IRS from me to get refunded the $661 that I'm due for using $3k of my capital loss carryover.

My 1040X Amended filing seems to me to be totally accurate and all the IRS should need  to fully understand and refund me the $661 that using $3k of my remaining capital loss carryover provides. 

Do you see any reason why the IRS has not refunded my $661? Could it be they are just way behind in sending out some refunds? It's strange that I have already received my $452 refund for the interest correction that was on the same 1040X as the capital loss carryover correction. 

What do you think?  What should I do now?  

What happens if I mail the same 1040X amended return to the IRS a 2nd time? It will have  the same reduced/accurate AGI the first 1040X had. It will also have the same Schedule D with the same cap loss figures on Line 14 &15. And like the first time I sent the 1040X it will have all the amendment pages.  And I would include the same letter I sent the IRS earlier requesting my $661 refund...

Would it be okay to send the same 1040X again?  Or do I just keep waiting  longer for my $661 refund, or do I just give up trying to figure out why I haven't received my $661 refund I'm due?

This is frustrating to make sense of...       

Now you're saying all was filed correctly, so we're back to the beginning where we started with this thread.

@Bob in Plano 

It certainly looks like my 1040X was filed correctly. The problem remains the same - that I only received the $452 refund for the interest correction. I still have not received the $661 refund for using $3k of my cap loss. 

Nothing has changed from the beginning when I started this thread - - 'My Amended 2023 Return was 'Adjusted' on April 26 resulting in a refund (for only one of the two amended corrections) that I promptly received on April 30. My amended return was 'Completed' on May 17th but I have yet to receive a refund for the other amended correction.'  This is where I still remain - getting a refund for only one of the two corrections my 1040X amended...  I'm still waiting on the $661 refund and don't know what to expect or what to do about it...    

@Bob in Plano it would seem the only way to resolve this issue is to call the IRS. Noone on this forum can see your return. filing a second 1040X won't do any good if it's exactly like the first.

1. Call 1-800-829-1040 between the hours of 7:00 AM – 7:00 PM local time.
2. Select your language.
3. Press 2 for answers about your personal income taxes
4. Press 1 for questions about forms, tax history, etc.
5. Press 3 for all other questions
6. Press 2 for all other questions
7. Do not input your Social Security Number when the recording tells you to. It will ask twice
8. Press 2 for personal- or individual-tax related question
9. Press 3 for all other inquiries
10. Wait to be connected to someone at the IRS.

Well, I called the IRS and held for over 30 minutes to suddenly get a busy tone - probably someone picked up the phone and just hung up right away.   

So, not to give up I called the IRS back again and I was immediately given a recording that said refunds for mailed-in paper returns could take 6 weeks, but that didn't help a bit to answer my few questions.

Finally, after another ½ hour hold I was able to talk with an IRS agent but he was not interested in helping to explain why refund amounts pertaining to two corrections on a 1040X amended return were not sent in one refund check. The IRS agent was also unwilling to find out why just one of the two corrections resulted in a refund and why the other correction refund remains unpaid. Nor was the IRS agent willing to find out if the remaining unpaid refund is still active or is in limbo for some reason. Worse than worthless!   

I have decided  to just wait to see if I ever get the $661 refund owed me for using $3k of my available capital loss carryover.  And, I have decided that if I never receive the $661 owned me for using $3k of my available capital loss carryover that I will just forget about it and hope it goes to something worthwhile, which I'm pretty sure is unlikely. 

The entire process is very frustrating because you cannot obtain detail answers to specific questions that make sense... 

I still don't understand why imported interest was duplicated on my 1040-SR resulting in doubling the earned interest from one payee, which required a 1040X amended return to correct - BTW, double interest from importing is something other TurboTax customers have experienced too according to the community forum. 

I still don't understand why my 1040-SR had blanks (nothing) for Lines 14, 15 & 16 on my Schedule D when there is no option (I'm told) to decline using available capital loss carryover when doing your Federal taxes online using TurboTax Premier, which required a second correction on the 1040X amended return.  These two corrections was why I filed a 1040X - I firmly believe both were likely caused by glitches in the TurboTax system, otherwise my capital loss carryover would have been automatically available (auto-filled) for the Schedule D like in past years. 

Very frustrating for numerous reasons!   

I'm more than just a little worried about what will happen next year when I do my 2024 Federal tax return knowing that in 2023 my Schedule D had blanks (nothing) on Lines 14, 15 and 21 for my remaining capital loss carryover. No one has been able to tell me how or why it failed to transfer my remaining capital loss carryover figures and auto-fill the correct Schedule D lines.

This sure has caused a big headache for me. 😩

It seems I am not the only one that has experienced this TurboTax bug in capital loss carryover.

I hope it gets fixed right away!!! 😠

Here's a partial screenshot of my Schedule D showing blanks for Line 14 & Line 15 that should be auto-filled ▼  

Screenshot 2024-06-17 185928.jpg

I also had 'double interest' income from importing from a payee. I have seen this TurboTax 'Double Interest' bug in the community forum many times over the years and it sure bit me by duplicating an imported 1099- INT which incorrectly doubled the interest from an interest payee. This too had to be corrected with a 1040X amendment filing.

I'm more than just a little worried about this TurboTax bug happening again to me in 2024.   Not good! 😡  

Clearly, the Double Interest TurboTax Bug has never been fixed in all these years!  

HERE  is another example. I could post plenty more threads but it's easy to search for this bug... 

There's no excuse for that! 😠

This bug has been posted about on the community forum many times and goes back many years...  🙄

Another unnecessary headache! 😩

as noted before, If your 1040-X shows Schedule D with the correct amounts (non-zero) for those lines.

then you use those corrected figures from the carryforward worksheet on your 2024 tax return.

Even if you did not amend 2023 , you would want to do that with 2024 and take your chances with another IRS review.

If you never get the $661 back you have used up $3,000 to no avail (already filed).

If/When you use up another $3,000 in 2024 you should get the 2024 $661 back.

you can decide what to do next year.

@Bob in Plano 

@fanfare - I'm not sure how the advice in your previous post is supposed to help me. And btw, nothing has changed from the time I started this thread...and no advice has helped or been meaningful except for the advice to call the IRS which ended up being totally worthless.   

I keep track and know exactly what my Capital Loss Carryover amounts are for the past few years, including 2023 and what it 'should' be for 2024 next year:

2020: $242,910  ($239,898 to be the carryforward amount for 2021)
2021: $239,898  ($236,898 to be the carryforward amount for 2022)
2022: $236,898  ($233,898 to be the carryforward amount for 2023)
2023: $233,898 (After adjusting 2023 Form 1040-SR per 1040X amendment and [hopefully] refunding me $661, there will be $230,893 to be the carryforward amount for tax year 2024) [$233,898 - $3,005 = $230,893]

What I'm not sure about is what to expect TurboTax will auto-fill for 2024 - will it be the figure as if everything went as it should have gone and $3k was deducted from my remaining cap loss, or will the figure be with $3k not being deducted. I dunno! 

The problem with all this is; Questions but no solid answers! That's what drives people bonkers...     

I just hope TurboTax doesn't mess me up again in 2024 by failing to auto-fill the Schedule D Lines. 

My view at this point in time is that it looks like TurboTax will be the root cause responsible for costing me $661 if I never get my $661 refundedTo be honest about it - I'm getting fed up with it.   

"What I'm not sure about is what to expect TurboTax will auto-fill for 2024"

It's your job to review all entries, Forms and Schedules and enter the correct amounts where necessary.

That's what self-prepared means.

However, TurboTax Online makes this difficult.

For that reason, TurboTax CD/Download is preferable.

In my "Taxes" folder I have a notepad file "Notes for 2024" to remind me of all the issues to check off before filing.

@Bob in Plano 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies