turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended my return before receiving any money. Now i owe?? Im confused.

I e filed my tax return on here back in Feb. It was accepted but never approved. I didnt owe anything and it was calculated that I was suppose to recieve a return. But it never came So I checked the numbers and saw a mistake and amended my return. Now it says I owe. The original amount was larger than what the amended amount is. I dont know if its Turbotax or if I did something wrong because its like I'm expected to pay the difference on a payment I've never recieved.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Amended my return before receiving any money. Now i owe?? Im confused.

No, this is normal based on how the amended return process works.

When you file an amended return, your original return is still processed and the refund is issued.

The amended return has an entry on it to report the amount of your original refund on line 18. The assumption that you received this money is what is creating the balance due. 

Since you haven't received your refund yet, it's possible that the IRS will correct your return. It's also possible you will still get the full original refund. 

You can wait a bit longer to see if the IRS issues your original refund, or if they mail you a letter explaining that they have made changes to your return. 

If they issue the original, full refund, you should pay the balance due on the amended return in full as soon as you get it, but no later than April 15. 

If it gets close to April 15 and you still don't have your refund, you may want to call them and ask what is happening. Follow this link for contact info. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies