Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ArtCB
Returning Member

Amended Form 1040X for TY 2021 Signature Date Issue

I am trying to Electronically submit Amended Form 1040-X for 2021 today 5/22/23. Turbo Tax message says my signature date must be between 1/1/2022 and 12/31/2022.  Should I put the signature date as 12/31/2022 or is there something wrong with Turbo Tax?  Or is it possible Turbo Tax isnt able to Electronically transmit now for 2021 1040X?    My original was submitted electronically fine.  I am due a refund and fear that if I make the date 12/31/2022 my interest added from IRS will be lowered?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax does not support e-filing of past-year amended returns. You have to print the amended return, sign it, and file it by mail.

ArtCB
Returning Member

RJS..  Thanks for the quick response.  I dont understand why they claim to be able to.. GRRR.   Im just wondering what would happen if I put the signature date of 12/31/2022 which the TT program shows is an option?  Curious if anyone else has used that prior date?  As I am getting a refund, its not like it will increase my costs / penalties or owed interest.  Will possibly only just lower the interest IRS owes me..  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Entering a past date is not going to allow you to e-file the amended return. You cannot e-file an amended return for a past year, no matter what signature date you enter.

ArtCB
Returning Member

Thanks RJS!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies