Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lildogtrainer
Returning Member

Amend tax return

I just filed my taxes and for the first time I have two W-2's because I switched jobs. The IRS accepted my federal return even though I think I messed up, I got a "file by mail instructions for my  amend tax return" and I have no idea what that means. I also tried paying what I owe for my taxes this year by going onto the governments website for my state and it won't allow me to pay unless I give 1 out of three options: Tax account number, case number, or notice number and I do not have any of those nor do I know what they mean. Can anyone help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Amend tax return

@lildogtrainer - Your amended return was rejected because the IRS is not accepting amended returns for tax year 2021 yet.  Hold off, you do not have to file by mail if you wait until IRS starts to accept the Form 1040X.  Usually, by March 31, you will be able to amend.  You will be able to e-file the amended return.

Before filing an amended return, make sure the IRS has already processed the tax return you need to amend. That way, you can ensure the IRS won't get your original return and amended return mixed up. If you've already received your tax refund, then you know the IRS has already processed your return.

Since you did not pay your state taxes when you filed you will now have to wait until the state return is processed.  Your balance due is not in their system yet.  You will need to wait until April 15, 2022 before paying the taxes owed or if you receive a notice from the state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lildogtrainer
Returning Member

Amend tax return

Yes this helps, thank you so very much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies