Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amend Kansas tax credit on income earned in Missouri

I am a resident of Kansas who works in Missouri. I noticed that this year, (for my 2019 taxes), TurboTax allows me to credit taxes paid to MS on my KS return, (on line 13 of the Kansas K-40 form). This credit makes a big difference on my KS taxes and it looks like it was not an option in TurboTax for 2018, although line 13 is present on the 2018 K-40 form. Can I amend my 2018 KS taxes to claim this credit? Is it possible to do this in TurboTax 2018? Can I also claim this credit in previous tax years? If so, how far back can I go?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Yes we can help you amend your returns, and yes you can get the credit.

The IRS will accept an amended return up to 3 years after the date you filed the original return.   If you filed before the April deadline, the IRS considers the April deadline to be the filing date. You can do 2016 by April 15th, 2017 & 2018 

This link will give you guidance on how to start to amend your return.  Amend 2016 -2019

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Yes we can help you amend your returns, and yes you can get the credit.

The IRS will accept an amended return up to 3 years after the date you filed the original return.   If you filed before the April deadline, the IRS considers the April deadline to be the filing date. You can do 2016 by April 15th, 2017 & 2018 

This link will give you guidance on how to start to amend your return.  Amend 2016 -2019

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the link you provided for the amend 2016-2019 takes me to a page which says Invalid Parameters Specified. However, I think I know how to manage through the process.

I do have one problem though. I removed the previous versions of TurboTax from my computer. I use the CD version, so I have the discs needed. I reinstalled the 2016, 2017, and 2018 versions. Unfortunately on the 2017 version it did not recognize that I purchased two states previously, KS and MO. I saved the original tax file using "save as" to create an amended version. However, when I try to load the amended tax file it want to load both the KS and MO state files. The software let me download KS, but it wants to charge me to download MO. (It doesn't recognize that I already purchased MO.) Is there a way to download MO for 2017 again without having to pay for it? 

You can disregard my question on how to download the MO state tax software. I uninstall TurboTax 2017 and reinstalled it. Then I copied my original tax file as saved it as an amended version. When I opened TurboTax 2017 using the amended file, it recognized both my KS and MO state returns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies