Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amend 2023 Changing filing status from Single to RDP

I have already filed my 2023 federal taxes and received a return. I e-filed the federal and I have to mail the state. However, I still need to mail my state taxes for California, they were completed and printed, and I am unable now to make changes to them. After completing my federal taxes, I realized that I needed to change my status from 'single' to 'registered domestic partner.' I used an online tool that led me to download software because, in California, registered domestic partners are required to file three federal returns, according to the Turbo Tax website. However, after downloading the software, I am unable to locate my 2023 taxes to amend. Is it too soon to amend them?

Also, why do registered domestic partners need to file three federal returns if we are filing separately?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Amend 2023 Changing filing status from Single to RDP

If you already filed your Federal return and received a refund (a refund is the amount you receive back; a return is the form you file), then you should be able to amend it. See this article and this one for more information on filing an amended return with TurboTax.

Form 1040-X, which you file to amend your Federal return, just became available in TurboTax in the last few days. Check to see if you are using the most recently updated version of the software. See this help article for more information.

This older TurboTax tips article on RDP still has some good information.

You actually prepare three Federal returns but file only two of them as Registered Domestic Partners. The creation of a “mock” federal return that reflects joint-filing status is just to get the numbers you need to fill in the sections of your state return that use numbers from a "married filing jointly" federal return. This ”mock” federal return never goes to the IRS; you submit it with your California state return.

Each partner in an RDP includes income from their separate property on their own 1040. Using the Allocation Worksheet from the IRS's community property publication 555, you can establish your shared, or community, income for each category of income such as wages, dividends and interest. Divide the totals in half to give each of you 50 percent. 

See here for California FTB information on married or RDP filing separately.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies