Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bendstraw
Returning Member

Ameding 2018 return, won't let me input value of inventory at beginning of year

Hi everyone, I'm spent hours trying to resolve this with no luck and would appreciate any help.

So I needed to amend my 2018 return because I realized I valued my inventory wrong initially. I've been selling on ebay since 2016 so I have to file self-employment taxes.

I also had to amend my 2017 taxes last year, so I valued my inventory around $28,000 at the end of 2017. However Turbotax doesn't even have a box to let me input my inventory value at the beginning of 2018, only at the end of 2018, which I valued at around $22. 

This is making my COGS number $0 on my return which is obviously wrong because I had inventory at the beginning of 2018. Turbotax is assuming 2018 is my first year in business and isn't even giving me the option of typing in a value which is creating headaches. Even though I amended my 2017 taxes on Turbotax, I had to go back and buy old software so Turbotax 2018 isn't recognizing my value of inventory at the end of 2017.

I'm stuck at this point and might just keep overpay in taxes to be done with this headache. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Ameding 2018 return, won't let me input value of inventory at beginning of year

Try going to the Business Profile or General Info section of the Schedule C and be sure that the box indicating that you started the business in 2018 is not checked.  Otherwise, you will not have the option of entering a starting inventory.  

@bendstraw

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies