Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

as493

Accidentally claimed as dependent

This is my first year filing and tried to efile but was rejected. Turns out I was accidentally claimed as a dependent on my mothers taxes but she received no credit. I am eligible for a refund but not sure where to go from here. Do I still efile or file on paper? can I check “claimed as dependent” and still receive a refund? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Since your return was rejected you can change that to "Claimed as a Dependent by Someone Else:.  You should still receive your refund.  

Here is how to make that change:

Note this information in the Personal Info section of TurboTax:

1. Click on the Personal Info tab.
  2. Click on Edit next to your name. 
  3. In section #3, mark the box that Someone else can claim me on their tax return. 
  4. Then mark whether that your parent(s) will claim you on their 2023 return.
  5. Run the review then e-file again.

Once you correct the Federal you can resubmit both the Federal and State

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you are someone's dependent that must be indicated on your return even if they don't claim you. if you are your mother's dependent, then you'll need to indicate you can be claimed on your return which will allow you to e-file. if you are not your mother's dependent she must amend her return. You must file by mail even her amended return will not allow you to e-file. We don't know if you are a dependent or not. Here are the rules

You could be claimed as a qualifying child if all these tests are met:

• You have the same principal abode as her for more than ½ the tax year.  Temporary absences like for school are ignored
  • If you are not a full-time student (any part of any 5 months – in a letter ruling the IRS allowed the month the student registered even though classes didn’t start until the next month), you’re under 19 at the end of the year (2023).  If you are a full-time student you are under 24 at the end of the year (2023).  
  • you haven't provided over ½ your support
  • you didn't file a joint return unless there was no tax liability but merely filed jointly to facilitate a refund of taxes withheld or estimates paid

Or you could be a qualifying relative if all these tests are met

You’re related to the other person or, if not, lived with the other party for the entire year and

• your gross income for 2023 was less than $4,700
  • the other party provided over ½ your support
  • you aren't a qualifying child of another taxpayer
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies