Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smith31

2021 amended return rejected, errors stated in rejection email don't make sense

Used TurboTax Premier desktop version to eFile Federal return and WI state return.  After filing, realized that I should be claimed as dependent on parents' return (which hasn't been filed yet), and went through the process to eFile amended fed and state returns.  WI return was accepted.  Fed was rejected.  Tried to go back into TurboTax to fix issues, but there was no indication of errors in the program.  Refiling failed two more times.  None of these errors make any sense.  The values for EIC and estimated taxes are zero in all cases.  I can't change values on the original 1040 form.  I don't know if a "blank" is equivalent to having a zero in the form, but in any case I can't change them.  The errors in the rejection email were:

IND-025-02 - If 'PINTypeCd' in the Return Header has the value "Self-Select On-Line" and 'PrimaryBirthDt' has a value, then 'PrimaryPriorYearAGIAmt' or 'PrimaryPriorYearPIN' or 'IdentityProtectionPIN' must have a value.
F1040X-013 - Form 1040-X, 'EarnedIncomeCreditAmt' in 'CorrectNumberOrAmountGrp' must be equal to the amended Form 1040, 'EarnedIncomeCreditAmt'.
F1040X-012-01 - Form 1040-X, 'EstimatedTaxPaymentsAmt' in 'CorrectNumberOrAmountGrp' must be equal to Form 1040, 'EstimatedTaxPaymentsAmt'.

I could print and mail the amended return.  HOWEVER, this means that my parents' return can't be filed; it will be rejected because there will already be a record of my tax ID filed as independent.

Please provide instructions on how to eFile in our situation.

Thanks,

Smith 31

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

2021 amended return rejected, errors stated in rejection email don't make sense

Your parents would still be able to paper file their return with you as  a dependent. The IRS will send them a notice that the dependent has already been claimed (in this case you claim yourself) and this will result in correspondence needed. In the IRS letter, they will let them know what is needed to verify you were their dependent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies