turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP! - I Double Paid the IRS

Hello,

I am having a big issue with my tax payments.  Last week, I paid my federal taxes by credit card (points were > than fees) and paid my state taxes by direct debit.  Today, however, when I look at my bank account I see pending debits for payments to BOTH the federal government and the state government dated today.

My theory as to what happened: back in February when I filed my return through TurboTax, I must have signed up for automatic direct deposit on 4/16 (today) and then forgot that I did that.  Looking back through my emails from then, however, I don't see any receipts or records that I set up such a payment.

I have a few questions:

1. How do I confirm that I did in fact make two payments?  Would TurboTax or the governments have sent me a receipt?

2. I right now think that I have made one payment to the state gov via direct deposit and two payments to the federal gov (direct deposit and cc).  Should I expect a second direct deposit to the govt from my payment last week?

3. How do I get my money back if I did double pay?

Thank you very much for your help.

RL

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

HELP! - I Double Paid the IRS

1. First verify the date that you chose for direct debit.

• Log into your account, scroll down a bit and select, 'add a state'. You aren't really adding a state, just opening up the return.
  • Select Tax Tools, Print Center on the left.
  • Select print, save or preview this year's return.
  • Select the 2017 federal return, then select 'Include government and TurboTax worksheets'. Then preview the forms
  • Scroll the pdf and look for Federal Information Worksheet. Part V has the direct deposit/debit info.

2. If you overpaid your tax, the IRS will send you a refund, most likely via check and not through direct deposit.

3. Wait to see if the IRS self-corrects. If not received, contact IRS directly at 800-829-1040.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies