turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WK
Level 1

State Taxes

I understand that Turbo Tax will try to get the biggest refund for Federal Taxes.  My issue is why not get the total biggest refund for Federal and State.  Using the new?? standard deduction is OK for Federal but required me to now owe state tax because if you use standard on federal you use standard on state.  Using itemized on federal means I get a little less back but on my federal taxes, it also means instead of now owing I am now getting a refund that not only keeps me from paying state but more than offsets what I lost on federal.  Turbo Tax should recognized this when doing state taxes, and give the option to modify the federal return and get the most refund possible as a total.  If I had not recognized this I would have paid $600.00 more than I should have.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

State Taxes

what state are you in?

WK
Level 1

State Taxes

GA

rlubeck

State Taxes

What State Tax Return have i paid for

rlubeck

State Taxes

New mexico

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

State Taxes

It is the state that makes the rules, not TurboTax.  Some states will allow a different deduction on the state return than on the federal.  Most do not.

According to the GA filing instructions:  "If you use the standard deduction on your Federal return, you must use the Georgia standard deduction on your Georgia return."

New Mexico is the same way:  Federal Standard or Itemized Deduction Amount

If you did not itemize deductions on your 2019 federal return, enter the allowable federal standard deduction from federal Form 1040 or 1040SR, line 9. 

You were very smart to figure out your taxes both ways:  itemizing on both federal/state and standard deduction on both.  Taxpayers should look at the combined result.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies