turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2019 tax estimate

I owed $300 in taxes in 2017. TT estimated I should have an additional  $4,000 withheld during 2018.  I followed the advice. I am now receiving a $5,000 refund.

for 2019 the W4/WP4 IRS calculator is suggesting that for 2019 I should increase withholding again by $1,200. 

I am trying to reduce my withholding by $3000 for the year. I am lost and bewildered. Income is SSA, pension, reg savings for total of $170K. Standard deductions. I have never had an accountant. Help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

2019 tax estimate

suggestion:

set up a new file in Turbo Tax (hopefully you have the desktop version). The key in everything as if you were doing 2019 taxes with the 2018 version of Turbo Tax.  There are no material tax changes for 2019 so other than the adjustment for inflation, what you come up with should be very close and conservative (tax brackets are adjusted for inflation that cause less to be paid in tax)

if you don't have desktop version, it's a cheap investment to obtain 'peace if mind' that you should be close (and the extra interest earned from the lower withholding will pay for the desktop version in any event!)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies