turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jkosso92
Returning Member

tax basis in an LLC

I have a loss showing on my LLC K-1 that is greater than my tax basis in the investment.  TT is reflecting the full loss in calculating my tax liability.  Where should the basis info be entered for TT to recognize it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

tax basis in an LLC

Yes, you may enter the Capital Account Information (including contributions & distributions) from Schedule K-1 during the initial screens of the K-1 interview process. Once you have entered your basis, the loss should be limited, and the excess carried forward.

The easiest way to find this section of TurboTax is to use the Search box at the top right side of the TurboTax header. Click on the magnifying glass, type in "schedule k-1", hit Enter, and click on  "jump to schedule k-1" to go directly to beginning of this topic.

If you have already entered the income from Schedule K-1, you'll need to answer "No" on the page "Review your Information." This allows you to edit all the basic information about the K-1, including the Capital Account info that appears under "Partner's capital account analysis", usually Part II, section L.

Note that this is the capital balance per the partnership, which may not agree with your own accounting records due to differences in partner-specific allocations. If your basis is different, you may wish to enter your own numbers for the Capital Account, to ensure that the loss limitation is calculated correctly

See: IRS K-1 instructions or IRS publications 541 and 925 for more information on determining your basis.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies