Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cthurk

is my tax amount correct? Need a reality check

I'm working on taxes for son.   He only received 1 1099-MIsc for 712.   Turbo tax is telling me he owes 101 - is that possible?   Thought it would be lower, as though he'd be taxed at 10%.   He has 1 small deduction for 70 for uniforms.  Help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

If his 1099-MISC income is reported in box 7, then he is paying self-employment taxes on net income. If that is his only income, you might want to revisit your entries. The amount calculated seems a little high.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LindaA
Expert Alumni

Yes, it is possible. Because your son made more than $400 from self-employment, he's required to file a tax return to pay the self-employment tax (Social Security and Medicare taxes). The self-employment tax rate of 15.3% is applied to 92.35% of your son's income.  If his income was $712 and he deducted $70 for uniforms, he'd have a net self-employment income of  $642 and his self-employment tax would be about $91 (92.35% of $642 = $593, and 15.3% of $593 = $91).

Note: The $101 you calculated was for a net self-employment income of $712, which would be correct if he didn't have any deductible expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies