turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kalabs123
Returning Member

Verification of Non Filing Letter

Hello

When I log into my IRS account, under “Return Transcript” tab, there are two “Verification of NON-Filing” letters available for past 2 years (2016 & 2017), but I FILED both years plus I have already got my return from Federal+State. I am so confuse here. Will it because base on “Filing Requirement”I DO NOT require to file these 2 years ? Does anyone know more about “Verification of Non-Filing” letter ?

Thanks
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Kal
Returning Member

Sorry folks, I made one typo in my original writing, “I FILED both years plus I have already got my REFUND (not return) from Federal+State in both years. “
BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

A Verification of Non-Filing letter is used by those who did NOT file a tax return, and its purpose is similar to a transcript.  If you filed a return and selected the option to print a Verification of Non-Filing, it will likely tell you that you DID file a return.  

The Verification of Non-Filing does not indicate whether you had a filing requirement, it only states whether or not you actually filed.  Many people don't file even when required to do so; the IRS would issue them a Verification of Non-Filing because they did not file.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kalabs123
Returning Member

Thanks BarbL, but I am so confused of your replying. As you said the verification of Non-Filing letter only states whether or NOT I Actually filed. But I FILED my return in past two (plus I have already got refund), how could IRS issue “verification of Non-Filing letter” under my name ? I mean the “Verfication of Non-Filing” letter NOT suppose available to people who Actually FILED. Unless it means I do NOT have to file base on “Filing Requirement” (you have already denied it ), Can you please explain more ?

More importantly, in order to Efile for 2018, I sign into my IRS account, looking for my “AGI” of 2017 under “Account Transcript” tab , then “Verification of Non-Filing letter” pop up, I am not sure how can I get (in IRS system) my AGI of last year, can you please address this issue as well ?

Thank you so much
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies