Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor II

State Tax Returns

I have a son who started his college on Sept. 2017, moving from Pennsylvania where we live to California where he studies. He made just barely enough ($6500) from 2017 summer intern ($6000) and college work-study ($500) to have to file federal return.  This is not a problem for us.


The question for us is how should he file state tax returns? My intuitive thinking is he needs to file PA return with the earning of $6000 while he still was PA resident, and also file CA return with the school earning of $500 after he arrived on campus.


Is this the right way to proceed? Any comments would be appreciated.


John Wu

1 Comment
Tax Expert

State Tax Returns

He will need to file a nonresident CA return and a resident PA return. He's still considered a state resident while temporarily away at college. In order the TurboTax to calculate the taxes owed/paid on one state return and the credit applied to the other, it is important to prepare the nonresident state return 1st before the resident state return. Indicate in the My Info section of his return that he earned income in another state.


How do I file a nonresident state tax return?

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.