turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

km2019

Series I bond interest on bonds received as gift

Is the interest earned on Series I bonds when cashed taxable if the bonds were a gift received from a relative after his death?  The bonds said "payable upon death".

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AJ
Level 6

I am sorry to hear of the passing of your relative. When you say "gift", I'm assuming that you acquired ownership of the bond upon the your relative's death.  The recommended reference is : https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p550.pdf   (The 2017 version of the Pub 550 is latest available today, however, I'm not aware of modifications for this topic.) 

Page 9 of the current Pub 550 states, "The manner of reporting interest income on Series E, Series EE, or Series I bonds, after the death of the owner (decedent), depends on the accounting and income-reporting methods previously used by the decedent."  Examples are provided in the publication.  For some cases, the executor of the estate pays taxes as part of the estate taxes.  And if the executor did not pay taxes on the bond from an estate tax return, then it appears that you would pay the taxes--most commonly, when you redeem the bond. 

km2019

Thanks for your reply.  I will look into that.

mKhamnei

I just cashed some series I bond and paid the proceed for my daughter college tuition. How do I report this tax deductible on my turbo tax

thanks for any reply 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies