Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received a 1099-misc form with an amount in box 7, from a previous employer. But I was not self-employed or independently contracted

I used to work for a local painting business. I just recently received a 1099-misc form from them, with an amount in box number 7. However I was a previous employee there, with income tax and benefits taken out of my check just like the other employees. Should I have received a w-2 form? If not, what do I go about doing with this 1099-misc form.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Received a 1099-misc form with an amount in box 7, from a previous employer. But I was not self-employed or independently contracted

If you were truly an employee of this business, you should have received a W-2 and not a1099.

The 1099 is treated as Self- Employment income, and you would be subject to Self-Employment Tax as well as regular income tax on this income.

If you want to dispute this, you can report this as income that should have been reported on a W-2. This is how you do it in TurboTax:

After you enter your 1099-MISC, you will be asked Does one of these uncommon situations apply? and you would check that your employer reported this income on a  1099-MISC but it should have been reported on a W-2. 

As you continue, you'll check that you received both a 1099 and a W-2, but all of the income should have been reported on a W-2 from this restaurant.

Your 1099-MISC will then be reported as a W-2, but you'll have to pay your share of Social Security withholding. That part will be calculated by TurboTax, and Form 8919 will be included with your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies