Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Qualified disaster

I have never claimed a qualified disaster on previous returns, but turbotax is requesting "For the 2017 Qualified Disaster distribution you reported, we need to know what type of disaster you were affected by".  

This question immediately follows the 1099-R distribution questions.  My 2018 distribution relates to a conversion not a disaster. I tried to delete Form 8915 and although it goes away, this question does not.

Thoughts?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

Qualified disaster

Yes, we are aware of this experience and thank you for the feedback. Please see, Why is Qualified Disaster Distribution appearing even though i said no?

Sign-Up

Please click here if you would like to get email notification updates on this issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Qualified disaster

"me too" - I can't figure out a way around it either, it insists I am taking it out as a disaster qualified distribution

HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

Qualified disaster

Yes, we are aware of this experience and thank you for the feedback. Please see, Why is Qualified Disaster Distribution appearing even though i said no?

Sign-Up

Please click here if you would like to get email notification updates on this issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Qualified disaster

Thank you for the confirmation and the link to the solution.

kpalm
Returning Member

Qualified disaster

I just experienced this error on 1/23/2020 after I entered my 1099R information.  Was the bug reintroduced in a software update.  I'm in a loop now and I can't complete my taxes!  I have never claimed a qualified disaster.  

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Qualified disaster

Please answer "no" to the question "Was this a Qualified Disaster Distribution?"  and when asked "What type of disaster affected you in 2017?" leave the selection blank and hit continue.  

This will not affect any calculations and you will be able to E-file. 

Since Form 8915 is deleted but the question is not going away, I also recommend clearing your cache and cookies. I also recommend you use Chrome and open an incognito browser by clicking on the three dots in the upper right corner of Chrome>New incognito window.

• Clear your cache and cookies (the link describes the specific steps for different browsers)
    • In general, hold down Ctrl+Shift+Del. Under the Basic tab, clear data for at least 24 hours, but preferably 7 days
    • Sign out of TurboTax
    • Close your browser window
    • Re-open TurboTax
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies