turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PIN; Need to enter IRS assigned PIN

My wife and I were separated and she did our taxes in CO and I lived in WY and still do. She passed away before the divorce was final and took all the info including the Pin from the IRS literally to her grave. I have no way of retrieving it and at all it was done because her brother stole my identity. I don't remember her email etc. to access this info due to her erasing it all before passing. The IRS has been no help in getting this info. This will be 2 years now that I can't do anything including helping my son who is autistic with no speaking abilities who gets compensation for survival benefits. I am remarried now but, this has made no difference in my situation. How do I get the pin since I can't prove who I am? In the IRS's eyes, I'm still a stranger with no aves of recourse. There must be a way to get this resolved otherwise I'm afraid of legal repercussions very soon. Do I need to hire a lawyer or can I get this fixed on my own?! Thank You for your time and understanding    

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

PIN; Need to enter IRS assigned PIN

If you filed together with your deceased spouse for 2018, try sending change of address form to the IRS. When the form is processed, any correspondence, including the PINs will be mailed to your address.  Otherwise, you will have to visit one the IRS local offices, with as much proof of your identity as possible. Calling them will not help. 

Also, if you don't have a PIN, you cannot e-file your return, but you can mail it. The mailed return (without PIN) will delay its processing and any refund, but you can include an explanation of your situation and proof of your identity. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies