Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bob77

Oil lease 1099-Misc shows rents instead of royalties

I received a 1099-Misc for oil leasing rights to my property. The value is listed under "rents" and I put the value in accordingly, but when I go through the TurboTax questionnaire I answer as if it's a royalty. Is this right? I receive errors at the end with Smart Check by doing this method because TT thinks I'm renting my property.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Taxpayers typically receive a lease bonus from the party that extracts the natural resource in consideration for granting the lease.  The amount of bonus payments is “Rents” in Box 1 of the 1099-MISC and you report the income as rent on Schedule E.

• Enter your 1099-MISC for rents in the 1099-MISC section as it appears. 
  • Check that it is for Rental income from the rental of real estate (Schedule E)
  • Add Lease Bonus on the screen to select the rental or royalty that generated this income, and check that.
  • Continue through the rest of the section.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the help on answering the first part of the Lease Bonus payment.  Can you please address how to work thru setting up the Schedule E part of the program.  The questions seem to be geared toward a traditional rental (like house rental) but in our case it's a one time payment to the right to drill on our land/mineral rights.  Thanks in advance for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies