turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jimmmk
Returning Member

No 1099 recieved

My wife is helping a friends elderly sister every week, average 5 hours a day and they pay her, they're not a business and my wife did not receive a tax form ie: 1099 from them, so how do we file this income? What form or section do we fill out for the IRS?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

No 1099 recieved

She would file this as self-employment income (treated as a business) on a Schedule C. She will enter the income she received and can deduct expenses for her business.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jimmmk
Returning Member

No 1099 recieved

there wont be any deductions, would it be OK to use Schedule C-EZ?

No 1099 recieved

This is just my opinion, but if it is under a certain dollar amount for the year I don't believe you t need to declare it, at all. 

If it is over that threshold and the person paying for help did not claim this as an out-of-pocket expense, you might be opening up a can of worms and creating more paperwork for yourself than you need.  If you do file or claim it, you may need their SS# and then it might be a hassle for them to amend their return to then go back and add that they paid your wife this money when you could have just left well enough alone.    All my opinion but no paperwork and clarification they did not issue a 10-99, I would just let slkeeping dogs lie and/or check if the amount is under the threshold

HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

No 1099 recieved

You can use Sch C-EZ if you meet the requirements discussed in our article here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jimmmk
Returning Member

No 1099 recieved

So heres what going on, the elder person she is helping out sends her insurance company what she pays my wife every two weeks and they reimburse her, apparently she has a very good insurance. The insurance company sent the elderly woman a 1099-TLC(long Term Care) for her records but she did not have to file it with the IRS. 

Would this go under miscellaneous income? Fill the C-EZ form?

jimmmk
Returning Member

No 1099 recieved

- UPDATE

I never used any service for my taxes until this week, I did my taxes using turbotax and paid the $119 - money well spent after stressing for weeks how to do my  taxes this years with new forms/changes. The best part was getting a live person to help me, they do a call back, you put your phone number in and each time I did this a person called me back within one minute and they were extremely helpful and friendly, great service.. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies