Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sancheetoh86
Returning Member

Independent Contractor for 'Dolly'

I worked for Dolly (which is a moving/misc. labor company) and I was wondering if I can use a mileage/gas deduction for transiting from job to job. Whether its from my residence to each job or from each job to job to residence etc. How does that work being hired as an independent contractor for a company and not being self employed for filing taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

If the company is paying you through the Form W-2, you cannot deduct your mileage/gas expenses; those expenses have been eliminated for the tax year 2018, unfortunately. 

However, if you are in fact hired as an independent contractor and are paid through Form 1099-MISC, you are considered self-employed and you would have to file as such. If that's the case, you can deduct car expenses when going from job to job. You cannot deduct your commuting expenses (driving from your home to your first job location and from your last job location back to your residence). 

Please click here for more details on car expenses. 

I need help with my taxes

As a Real Estate Agent, I am an independent contractor and I received Form 1099-Msc  to show my income for the year. My business is an LLC and elected tax classification of S Corp. When I was preparing for the LLC year end tax, it did not allowed me too use the standard mileage deduction because it is a separate business entity. It was noted that I can record the standard mileage deduction when preparing my individual income tax return.

Turbotax home and business allowed me to record the total business mileage that I incurred for 2018 however, I did not see that the standard mileage amount was considered as deduction against my income. Please help and thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies