turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

alexis_g

If I’m a California resident &visit Michigan and work for the summer, do I owe taxes to both state?

I’m visiting my grandparents in Michigan for the next few months, I need to work to pay my bills. I am currently a resident of California. Am I going to have to pay both state taxes? I usually get a tax return will that change anything? I didn’t even think about it before I came here, what do I need to do to make sure I don’t create any issues by working in anothe state? Thank you!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AJ
Level 6

If I’m a California resident &visit Michigan and work for the summer, do I owe taxes to both state?

It is normal for states to tax the income you earn in their state.  So if you work and Michigan and get Michigan income, then you would normally be expected to file a Michigan Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Schedule (Schedule NR) with your Michigan income tax return.  First complete your Federal return.  Then work the Michigan return as a non-resident.  Then do your California return.  I am not completely familiar with all of the details for these states.  However, you should expect that the process will give some credit or deduction to prevent double taxation.   It is possible that your Michigan withholdings will exceed your Michigan tax.  So if that is the case, then you might get a refund from Michigan.  You will have to file to get any refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies