turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ash
Level 1

I owe taxes and lost my job

Hi i filed my taxes on time and then i lost my job on April 4th before i could pay the tax that i owe to IRS. I owe two thousand dollars and i have paid five hundred. I can't pay anything more now and i am out of country since i lost my job (i was on a non-immigrant visa). 

I did not receive any notice from IRS yet ( I can still receive mails in US on my old address since my friend is staying there and my name is on the mail box)

Please help and advise what should i do next ?

1) Should i just wait till i get back to country and get the job (which i don't know when) and then pay the remaining taxes ?

2) Should i setup a long term installment plan and keep arranging money every month to pay taxes ?

Also please advise if IRS will consider this as reasonable cause to waive my penalty and if yes, how can i do that ?

Should i wait till i get the notice or act now ?

I know i asked too many questions. Appreciate any help or advise you expert can provide.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I think you'll find the IRS more than willing to work with you, provided of course that you are the one to initiate contact with them, before it gets to a point where they are the one's looking for you. Check out the information at https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/what-if-i-cant-pay-my-taxes so I don't have to repeat here, what is already on that web page.

ash
Level 1

Thank you so much Carl, I really appreciate your time and response. I have gone thru the link you shared in your response and it really helped me understand the options.

The only question I have is how do i communicate my reasonable cause to IRS, shall i call them directly or wait for a notice and then call with the reference number on notice ?

Thank you.

Carl
Level 15

You need to contact the IRS ASAP. If they have to hunt you down and initiate the contact, things won't be nearly as pleasant as it will be if you are the one to initiate first contact.

ash
Level 1

Thanks Carl. I'll call them and try to contact.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies