Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PeterFors99
Returning Member

I filed Notice 2014-7 exempt last year. This year my w2 box 1 shows 0

I’m confused how to file my tax return this year since I’m now exempt. I can’t follow the instructions for the notice 2014-7 steps cuz I’m supposed to put + and - of my income from box 1. My w2 has 0 in box 1 and 2. My income total from Ihss only shows in box 3 and 5 which is for the social security and Medicare wages. Box 4 and 6 shows the social security and Medicare tax withheld. Box 14 shows CA-SDI and amount. Everything else is zero. What do I do? I don’t know if I still need to file cuz this is my only income and is now non-taxable.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You don't have to file your income tax return for the 2018 tax year if that is your only income.

And on a side note, your W-2 form is prepared correctly. The "+ or -" instructions are for situations, where income is reported in box 1 and you have to adjust it manually on your tax return. YOU are all set and no need to do anything on your end. 

Hello, I have the exact same situation except that my husband has income and we file jointly. I’ve gone through the whole process to file online and got a message saying that I cannot file online because on my W2, box 1 is zero. Is there something I can do to fix this so that I am able to file online? Do I need to do a 2014-7 form? Thank you for any suggestions you might have!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies