Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

YvonneNicole6
Returning Member

Can both Parents claim EIC?

My boyfriend and I share a child together. My boyfriend is claiming our son as a dependent this year on his taxes, However can we both claim the EIC? or can only the person claiming the child as a dependent claim the EIC? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

No, only one of you can claim the earned income credit (EIC) for your son. To qualify for EIC, your son must have lived with that person for greater than 6 months during the tax year. 

There are four deductions or credits associated with children:

1. the dependency exemption
  2. the Child Tax Credit (CTC)
  3. the Child and Dependent Care Credit (CDCC), and
  4. the earned income credit (EIC).

If you and your boyfriend lived together with your son during the tax year, only one of you can claim these four items. However, if you and your boyfriend lived apart, the custodial parent may either (a) claim everything or (B) let the noncustodial parent claim the dependency exemption and the Child Tax Credit. EIC and the Child and Dependent Care Credit always go with the custodial parent. 

In the case of parents who live apart, the IRS defines the custodial parent as the parent with whom the child spent the greater number of nights during the tax year.

For more information, please see the following TurboTax FAQs and tax tips:

Who can I claim as my dependent?

What is the Child Tax Credit?

What is the Child and Dependent Care Credit?

What are the qualifications for the Earned Income Credit (EIC or EITC)?

What Happens When Both Parents Claim a Child on a Tax Return?

What is Form 8332: Release/Revocation of Release of Claim to Exemption for Child by Custodial Parent

YvonneNicole6
Returning Member

We live together. He filed his taxes and did not qualify for the EIC. Even though he claimed the baby as a dependent, Can i still claim the EIC for our son? When I work my taxes through Turbo Tax, even though i selected that i gave my boyfriend permission to claim our son this year, when i get to the Credits section, it says i qualify for EIC with our son, even though i didnt claim him as a dependent. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies