Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am I subject to a 10% penalty when I took a 401K Dsitribution the same year I retired.

I took a 401K distribution in May of 2017 for my daughters wedding. This distribution was Federally taxed at 20%. I subsequently retired in that same calendar year in October of 2017 at the age of 59.

My question surrounds the 1099R that I received which had a Distribution Code of a 1 (Meaning the 10% penalty applies). Is there any way around this penalty since I retired within that same calendar year....Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LindaA
Expert Alumni

Am I subject to a 10% penalty when I took a 401K Dsitribution the same year I retired.

Unfortunately, timing is everything. Since you are over 55, you would have been okay if you had waited until after you stopped working for your employer to take the distribution. For a discussion of this and other exceptions to the early distribution penalty, please see Topic Number 558 - Additional Tax on Early Distributions from Retirement Plans Other Than IRAs.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Were you 59 1/2 years old at the time of the withdrawal?   If not, that's why the Code is 1 in Box 7 and the penalty is being computed.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

No as I don't turn 59 and a half until the end of April 2018, when I retired in October I was 59 and I know there is a rule for taking funds from your 401k when your over 55 and retired with no 10% penalty. The withdrawal was in May of 2017 which was 5 months prior to retiring. I was hoping that since I retired the same calendar year I would be able to avoid the 10% penalty.
LindaA
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, timing is everything. Since you are over 55, you would have been okay if you had waited until after you stopped working for your employer to take the distribution. For a discussion of this and other exceptions to the early distribution penalty, please see Topic Number 558 - Additional Tax on Early Distributions from Retirement Plans Other Than IRAs.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies