turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

risman

How to deduct/depreciate/take Sec. 179 deduction a computer being paid off over time?

I bought a laptop in 2016 and neglected to take any deductions for it. It was gradually paid off with monthly payments that began in 2016 and ended part-way through 2017. How should I claim a deduction for it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

How to deduct/depreciate/take Sec. 179 deduction a computer being paid off over time?

To claim a deduction for the 2016 laptop used in business, you can amend the tax return for that year. A new laptop would qualify for a 179 deduction and/special depreciation allowance making it possible for you to recover the entire cost in that year (if you had a profit)

Or you can claim depreciation of 5 years or some combo of depreciation and the the 179/special depreciation allowance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
risman

Those would make sense if I had fully paid for the laptop in 2016. But, as I noted, I paid for it over time, beginning with some payments in 2016 and ending with some in 2017.  So how to deal with this situation?

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

It doesn't matter how you paid for the laptop its cost recovery is the same-5yrs or some combo as outlined above.  The deduction begins in 2016 when the laptop was placed in service. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies