turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxes on Selling Primary Residence

Basically my wife and I are wanting to sell our home in Colorado Springs Colorado, move into a rental, and wait a year or two for the market to die down. When we bought our home the local market was pretty much at the bottom of the 2009 recession. Right now the market has not only recovered but is much higher than average. So when we sell we will make a bunch of profit. We are wanting to move one city over, Denver Colorado and wait about 1 or 2 years for the market to die down before buying another home.

I know when you buy a home that you have lived in for at least the past two years and buy another home right away you don't have to pay taxes on the money but what if you have a break of one or two years in between? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

The 2 of 5 years requirement does not have to be consecutive. You need 24 months in total within that time frame. The link below goes over the basic rules.

Primary Home Sale Gain Exclusion

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

buying another home is not a pre-requisite to shielding the profit on the sale of your current home.... that was a requirement many, many years ago but it is no longer the case 

DaveT315
Intuit Alumni

Provided you have used the propery as your primary residence at least two of the five year prior to sale, you can take the capital gains exclusion regardless of what you do with the money.  No need to purchase a replacement home any more.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies