turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

enl

trad IRA dedcution

Turbotax not allowing deduction for traditional IRA based on my MAGI being over the limit of $121,000 because it's saying I am covered by a retirement plan. However, I am not covered by a retirement plan. (doubled check W-2 is entered correctly) Spouse is covered by retirement plan so this is what should apply "If your filing status is MARRIED FILING JOINTLY and you are not covered by another retirement plan but your spouse is covered, you may contribute and deduct up to $5,500 ($6,500 if age 50 or older) as long as you or your spouse earn at least that much and your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) is $189,000 or less." quoted part copied directly from turbotax

Married filing joint, MAGI $128,000, am I missing something? Everything I've read I should be able to fully deduct my IRA contribution

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

trad IRA dedcution

on your W-2, please reconfirm that

Box 13 - is NOT checked 

Box 12  - there is no Code "D" , "E", "F", "S", "AA", "BB"  (all of which are forms of retirement plans)

what codes are there in Box 12? 

on the "IRA contribution worksheet", is the box in row 10 checked for you?

trad IRA dedcution

I'm having this exact same problem.  This was not happening prior to the last update.  MAGI is under$189,000, spouse is covered by a retirement plan, but I am not.  Turbotax is now disallowing my IRA deduction.

trad IRA dedcution

can you please review your W-2 and post: 

whether Box 13 is checked

what codes are being used in Box 12 (there could be multiple)

trad IRA dedcution

Spouse has "C" in Box 12 and Box 13 is unchecked.

I have two W-2s.  Both have nothing in Boxes 12 or 13.

This only started after I updated TurboTax this morning.  Prior to the update, it was allowing the IRA deduction.

trad IRA dedcution

i checked this in Turbo Tax Deluxe (Cd  / Download) version and it works fine

what were YOUR wages in 2018.  All I need to know whether it's over or under $5500

what is your combined MAGI (for most people this will be Line 6 on Form 1040).  All I really need to know is whether it's over or under $121,000

Open the form called "IRA Contrib Wks". Look at line 10.  Be sure it's NOT CHECKED

trad IRA dedcution

I had two W-2s in 2018.  Both are over $5500.

1040 Line 6 (MAGI) is over $121,000, but under $189,000.

Line 10 is checked for both.  My box is black and cannot be unchecked.  My spouse's box is blue and can be unchecked.  I went back to the interview and removed the IRA contribution, but the worksheet still shows both boxes checked as before.

I went back to the interview to re-enter the contribution, and it continues to show that I don't qualify.  Clicking the help link shows the error of my ways.  It says that if I contributed to a SEP, this is considered a work retirement plan.  So I guess that's the problem.  Interesting that it wasn't doing this before the update.  Now I will need to go back and see if I'm better off doing the TIRA contribution instead of the SEP.

Thanks for all your help!

Edit to add - I just removed my SEP contribution and it's now accepting my full IRA deduction.

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

trad IRA dedcution

Great questions by NCperson. And are you the primary taxpayer on the return? If you are and if you doubled checked that YOUR W-2 does not have a checkmark in box 13, please try deleting the contribution and re-enter the contribution. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies