turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stuck on 1099 Misc review, answered all questions, but it loops me back every time. I'm NOT self employed!!!!!!!

I bought 2018 Home and Business in error  at Costco, but decided to use it anyway,  I'm stuck in a vicious loop trying to put in Income from IBM for a reimbursement I get every year for one of those If you're taking any kind of health class, or $250 reimb for LTC insur if you have that pmt taken out of your retirement check towards your premium. It's just another small benefit  that helps a little.

So  I get a 1099-Misc with box 7 filled in with $250.  I go through the best I can  with the info I have, but it takes me back to that section when Turbo does the final review wanting me answer more questions.  I answer them the best I can but all of them are geared toward being self employed which I am not. I do not know what to do. I tried doing what a post that was 2 yrs old suggested, but that didn't help. The latest ??? is about submitting my zip code for my self employed business (I should never have been taken that far!!!. This Turbo is as bad Quicken is, which I'm also about to ditch. I'll never use Turbo again. Should I just go buy Quicken Basic version to sidestep this "self employed" assumption and start all over???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Stuck on 1099 Misc review, answered all questions, but it loops me back every time. I'm NOT self employed!!!!!!!

First of all, delete that 1099-MISC that you first entered, and also delete anything relating to that self-employed business that you started filling out. You should never have gotten a 1099-MISC with the entry in box 7 for the type of benefit you are describing.

However, once you've deleted all those entries, go back and re-enter your 1099-MISC. On the screens that follow, say that this was not for work like your regular job. Say it didn't involve an intent to make a profit. Say you got it in 2018 (don't fill in any other year). After you're done, it shouldn't be prompting you about a business anymore.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the same problem and no matter how I answer questions it wants to label us self-employed.  My husband sells some of his season baseball tickets to a company who gives them to clients.  We don't make any money off of them and sell them at our cost but the company sent us a 1099-MISC for 2017 and 2018 this year.  It totals $8125.00 with a significant chunk of our taxes coming out for this amount.  I tried entering expenses for the same amount but it didn't change anything.  I'm tempted to not even claim the 1099's but I don't want to get an audit down the road or go through this every year.  This company has been buying our tickets for several years and this is the first time we've received 1099's.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies