Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cobra325i

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Real estate taxes

The wife and I both have full time jobs and have 4 business out of our home, 2 of which share a home office.  We didn't have enough to itemize this year, so are taking the standard deduction.  I want to confirm that I have "excess mortgage interest" and where to enter the real estate taxes.  The first window of the "Enter real estate taxes" states "If you paid real estate taxes but are not itemizing deductions, do not enter your real estate taxes here.  Enter them as excess real estate taxes later.  I did so, but the next window as if you have real excess real estate taxes and states that "this is not common".  Very confusing.  Help!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KarenL
Employee Tax Expert

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Real estate taxes

You would only enter them in the home office section.  Any remaining amounts, not used for your home office, will automatically transfer to itemized personal deductions.  No further entry is needed.  If your state allows itemizing, even though you take the Standard Deduction on the federal return, they will automatically transfer over to the state as well.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies