turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gbroido

IN-117 Form

I was a resident of two states this year and need to file a IN-117 tax credit form for the taxes I paid in NC while living in VT.

I can't find where to edit a IN-117 form in the TurboTax walk-through of my state taxes. 

Does anyone know how to submit this form??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

IN-117 Form

The usual way this works is that you complete your non-resident state first (NC) and then complete your home state (VT). 

This will allow TurboTax to calculate the NC tax and then carry it to your Vermont return. 

In the Vermont state interview, you will see a screen with the heading "Tax Paid to Another State or Canadian Province". Answer "yes" and you will begin a section of the interview in which you will enter certain North Carolina information into the screens (this is a good reason to have done NC first).

NOTE: you must file a form IN-117 for each state, so if you have other states in which you paid state taxes besides NC, when you come to the screen headed "Other State Tax Credit Summary", click on "+Add another State or Province" to add the next state.

gbroido

IN-117 Form

Thank you, but how do I actually fill out the IN-117 form?

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

IN-117 Form

Begin the form in the section that reads 'Tax Paid to Another State" of your VT return. Complete your non resident state return first though.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies