Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8962 for non-dependent child

Some background: I prepare the taxes for my three children, two of which are under 25 and able to still be covered on our family insurance plan. I had COBRA coverage through August and then purchased a plan through the Exchange for Sept - Dec., covering my wife and I, plus our two children who are under 25. I mistakenly assumed that both would still qualify as tax dependents on my tax return, so I must have indicated that when I completed the calculation for Advance Premium Credit (APC). When I completed my tax return, I found that only my younger daughter still qualified as a dependent, so I ended up with just 3 for calculation of my eligible premium credit, resulting in my having to pay back a portion of that premium when I filed my taxes. I did also list my son, who is 24, as being covered on the plan when I filed, since he was listed on my 1095-A.

When I filed for my son, I did not include the Form 8962, since he did not pay premiums nor receive the APC. Those flowed through my tax return since I paid the premiums. But now after filing his 2018 return, he has received IRS LTR 12C requesting him to complete and submit Form 8962 and a copy of his Form 1095-A. So based upon his social security number, his return must have kicked out by the matching program as needing this form filed.

I am unclear how to complete and file this Form for him, since he did not pay any premiums nor receive the credit. As I noted, I already had to pay back the portion of the APC when I completed my return (as I could only claim 3 dependents vs the 4 assumed when I signed up for the policy through the Exchange), so that should not be the issue with his. Can you direct me how to complete this form for my son, so that we can respond to the IRS with the requested information within their timeline?  If you need any additional information, please let me know.  Thank you in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Still hoping for some thoughts / direction on this issue.  Surely someone else in this community must have experienced a similar situation? Thank you

A few questions ....

For the 24 year old son, please confirm he was insured the entire year (Cobra and marketplace) . Do you have documents that prove that ?

Is the IRS ask to prove insurance or to calculate the premium paid / returned? Or both?

This seems to be a pretty standard request letter - it is IRS LTR 12C.  In it, they request that I send them a completed Form 8962 and a copy of the Form 1095-A.

My question is how do I complete the Form 8962.  When I initially signed up for insurance through the exchange (in a hurry at the time), I was under the impression that this son could be claimed as a dependent on my tax return.  Not until I completed my 2018 taxes did I learn this was not the case.  So his SSN appears on my Form 1095-A, but I was unable to claim him to cover the Advanced Premium Credit that I received - so I had to pay a portion of that back when I filed my taxes.

I am assuming I need to somehow complete the Form 8962 for him, and indicate he shared benefits somehow - but indicate he gets 0% of the Premium Credit, etc. - since I have already claimed that on my Form 8962?  I've now downloaded the Form 8962, but the thing is 20 pages long and I'm trying to dig my way through it to find a situation like mine.  So, any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Sorry, I just reread your response.  Yes, he was in fact insured for the entire year - 9 months under my COBRA, and then 3 months under my policy that I purchased from the Exchange.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies