turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JiminTN

Financial Theft / Bank Fraud

I was subject to bank fraud.  Can I deduct the financial loss?  How do I report the loss?  As far as I can tell, TurboTax only recognizes a loss in property value due to the loss.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Yes, you probably can deduct the loss.  Where on the return depends exactly on the type of loss/fraud.

Most types are deducted on Sch A as an itemized deductions.  However, if you made an investment, and people stole the investment money, it might be deductible as a capital loss.

Here is a link that you can start reading about losses, etc.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc515

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**

someone got into my bank account and took money by making it look like they accidently put momey in my account.  can I clame it? 

Apparently not.  This is from IRS Pub 547

Limitation on personal casualty and theft losses. Personal casualty and theft losses of an individual, sustained in a tax year beginning after 2017, are deductible only to the extent that the losses are attributable to a federally declared disaster. 

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p547

I believe this goes through 2025.

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies