Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor II

Expenses for W2 Job

I have a few expenses I incurred under my job as a W2 employee.


Can I claim these? If so, where and how do I input these?

I have completed the income section but can't see anywhere to enter these few items in relation to the W2?


Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Comment
TurboTax Specialist

Expenses for W2 Job

If you itemize deductions (Schedule A), you may claim your job-related expenses, but they won't be fully deductible because they are subject to the 2% rule. (If you take the standard deduction, your job-related expenses won't make a difference on your tax return.)



To enter your job-related expenses (for your W-2 income):

  • Continue your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click Tax Tools (lower left side of your screen).
  • Click Tools.
  • Click Topic Search.
  • In the I'm looking for: box, type 2106.
  • In the results box, highlight 2106, then click GO.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your job-related expenses. 


Note: If using the TurboTax CD/Download (desktop) software, you'll use the Find function (instead of "My Account") to search for the topic.



For more information, please see this TurboTax FAQ: Can employees deduct any job-related expenses?

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.