Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

beernose

Error in TurboTax calculation for Social Security overpaymment

I think I discovered a bug in TurboTax.  

This year, because I switched jobs, I had an overpayment of Social Security Tax (exceeded the $7,886.40 cap).  However, when I enter my W2's in TurboTax, it properly assigns those W2's to me, and shows up as a surplus in line 4 of my W2/W2G Summary.  However, the calculation for line 71 is zero.

I tried starting over with a new file to see if I messed up something on the W2 entry or import.  I tried this a couple times.  I found that when I imported my prior year turbotax return information, THEN the calculation for line 71 is in error.  But if I create a new turbotax file with NO import from prior year, then the calculation is done correctly.  

Bottom line, if you are a prior user of TurboTax and know you overpaid your SS taxes, DONT trust Turbotax to "automatically do this calculation for you".  Double-check line 71 of your 1040 to make sure your Social Security tax overpayment is properly reflected.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
karen6142

Error in TurboTax calculation for Social Security overpaymment

I am processing an amended return for wages from an additional employer.  I have populated the additional W2 data and receive a message regarding overpayment of SSI however, the amount owed is not reflecting this refund.  I should actually be getting a refund rather than owing additional payments.  Can form 843 be filed to collect this refund or is there some other action to take to remediate this?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies