Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Conversion of rental property to personal use

I converted rental property to personal use.  The property was not available for rent in 2017.  When I indicated that in Turbo Tax, the rental property was deleted.  I have carryover passive losses.  I have another passive activity with income that could be offset by those losses but Turbo tax is not using them.  How do I put the carryover loss back into the system.    Do I make a manual change to form 8582 or the worksheets.  How do I do that so the calculations are picked up.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
acmetom

I have the same exact situation for 2018, and I don't see that anyone ever responded to your post.  Did you figure out how to handle it for your 2017 return??

Hi, Last year for 2017 the person at TT was able to update the Form 8582 schedules, for me, to show the PAL carryforwards  coming forward and offsetting my other passive income but then it didn't automatically flow to page one of my 1040.  I had to manually input the amount and file by mail.  This year when I called, my question was elevated to one of the CPA's.  He had me enter 1 day for days rented without any expenses.  That kept the rental in the system.   The TT program took my carryovers from last year and used them correctly and total Schedule E income was correctly shown on line 17 of the new Schedule 1.  I was able to file electronically and received my refund very quickly.  I hope this helps.  I believe last year there might have been a glitch in the system which was corrected this year.    If you have questions the folks on the TT help line were terrific.  

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, you have to revisit the rental section and indicated in the Property Profile section that you had a passive activity real estate losses carried over from a prior year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies