turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gamemaster3000
Returning Member

Car Depreciation Glitch / Car Depreciation Tax Question / Crazy Homeless Person Vandalism Expense

I drive Uber, and I'm trying to do vehicle expenses.  The amount TurboTax is deducting for my vehicle expenses is swinging wildly from about $1000 to $4000 based on small differences in the number of miles I drove.   The $1000 vehicle expense presumably has no depreciation at all, as I spent $2000 in gas and ~50% of my miles are for business.  

Question 1--Is there a way to see how much it is taking out for depreciation?  That's all I really want to see, I can probably figure out what it's doing from there.  If I could see that everything below can be ignored.

Otherwise it becomes a couple tax questions.  Here's the facts first:

Bought car April 2016

Car purchase value $22000

Car value day I started Uber ~11500

Starting mileage ~38000

Ending mileage ~50000

% Business use is definitely over 50% but not by much.

The first year I had the car I used actual expenses, drove for Uber for one week and hated it, but wrote off the $500 in vandalism fixes as a startup cost courtesy of the crazy homeless person that scratched the words "CIA N-----" in to my passenger door.

I figure my depreciation for this year should be 22000 / 5 * 50% of the year * 50% business use which is roughly $1100.  This should make my vehicle deduction about $2500 with the gas expenses and such.  

1.   Can I use straight-line depreciation for 5 years for this car?  I didn't drive hardly at all the first two years so I don't want to use MARCS or whatever it is.

2.  If I can use straight-line depreciation, how do I make TurboTax do it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
gamemaster3000
Returning Member

Car Depreciation Glitch / Car Depreciation Tax Question / Crazy Homeless Person Vandalism Expense

Ok I found out how to print the documents, why the heck is my % business use 29.99% when my business miles driven is 50% of my total miles?

Here's a screenshot of the form:

https://imgur.com/a/6jxbfF6

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies