turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ering31

1099-misc, box 7: sporadic income?

I am very confused about whether or not to report non-employee compensation (box 7) from two 1099-misc that I received as "other income" or to pay self-employment taxes.

The back-story: I am a veterinarian. Last year, I was contacted by a friend that needed someone to cover a few days at their clinic while they went out of town. I obliged. Later in the year, I was contacted by an acquaintance at another clinic with a similar situation. Again, I filled in a couple of shifts. I was compensated for my time and I received two 1099-misc with non-employee compensation with a total amount of $4750.

The issue: I do not consider myself to be self-employed. I did not advertise or seek out this work. I have since left private practice and am in another field of veterinary medicine and I will not be doing this kind of work again in the future. It was limited to two times.

Do I need to pay SE tax on this income? I am confused because although it falls into my line of work, it seems more like sporadic activity to me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, this income is directly related to your line of work/profession and is appropriately included in your self-employment earnings. It does not matter that you do not intend to repeat the service. The IRS will regard this freelance or a side gig monies and expect to see it on a schedule C. Do take any allowable expense deductions to reduce the net income amount subject to the self-employment tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I also received payment from an employer on a 1099-MISC. The only box filled out is box 7, but now I can't file? What have I done wrong?

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

@PCarlucci81 Run the review tab to see what error is flagged. If you have a 1099-MISC with box 7 income, you need to include it under a Schedule C business. If you entered it in another section, it needs to be linked to your business.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies