Visitor I

how much income do I need to make to file a tax return

is the amount of income required to file a tax return for a single person $10,400?

I made less than that. should I file anyway? 

2 Comments
TurboTax Specialist

Yes, a single person under the age of 65 must file a tax return if your gross income was at least $10.400 (for 2017).

However, if income taxes were withheld, you may consider filing if you believe you are due a refund of those taxes. See this post for more help: If I don't need to file a return, should I go ahead and file one anyway?

Visitor I

Some reasons you might want to file are if you had taxes withheld and want them refunded;    if you're eligible for the Earned Income Credit (you might get a refund even if you didn't pay taxes), if somebody else is claiming you as a dependent; or in some cases you'd need to file if you're getting health care from some version of Obamacare or if you owe social security taxes on income you got a 1099 for.  There might be other reasons, IRS Publication 501 lays them out.  You can read it online here.

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.