Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

iPatrick
Returning Member

I have to submit form 8962 after I already filed...

Here is the issue.  I do not need to fully amend the return.  I need to simply recalculate page 2 and then include the 8962 form.  TurboTax will not let me into my return as form "1040X" is not ready (which it is on irs.gov as of January).   The release of this form has been pushed back 4 weeks now from the original date.   So I paid $127 for turbotax online (lived in two states) and cannot use the software that I paid for.  I do not need a 1040X, just need to edit some details, print it out and then send it in!  I tried downloading the desktop software, and as I imported my turbotax file, it tried to make me pay another $40 because I lived in two states... I refuse to pay two fees for one state, I have to draw the line somewhere.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to circumvent this issue? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

My recommendation is to wait for the amendment... you don't have to pay any additional tax due until April 15th, 2019 anyway since penalties and interest start after the due date.

Regardless how small of a change you need to make, or whether your form can be sent with or without the F1040X (the amended return), the only way to make a change to the original return in turbo tax is through the amendment process. It's because the recalculation is done on the original side of your return using the original data entry. 

If you received the IRS letter and have a deadline, please call them and ask to extend it, if the form is due before TurboTax releases the amendment.  They are usually fine doing it. The amendment is tentatively scheduled for release on March 7th but again, you'll have no penalties or interest if you pay any additional tax due on or before April 15th. 

Your other option is to print the F8962  and its instructions and make the changes manually, but be careful of potential errors...

The IRS sent me a letter asking for 1095A form from market place and also submit Form 8962 with it. I have contacted turbo tax and have not received any useful help on filling out this form. IRS specifically says do not file amended return. Crazy how turbo tax charged me $89 and cannot even give me right answer. Any help would be great.

iPatrick
Returning Member

I talked to 2 people at turbotax, and they have no idea what is going on.  It is laughable that they keep saying that the 1040x is not available by the IRS, but it is.  They just don't have it available in their software.  Probably because they don't want people realizing too early that a 1040x cannot be submitted online and has to be mailed in.  I finally received the official letter from the IRS where they state not to amend with a 1040x, but simply mail the 8962 and the 1095-a in the return envelope.  Hope this helps anyone else.  It would have been nice if turbo tax simply let me got back into the software i purchased to be able to calculate everything on the 8962 form and print it out, nope...  I just calculated everything myself and mailed it in.  

HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

Thank you for your patience! The 1040X is releasing today, by the end of the day. Some users are already reporting it is available. Please be sure to log out and then back in to receive updates on TurboTax Online. Also, please see our article,  The IRS is requesting Form 8962 for 2018 for more info on how to complete this request.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
CF16

I am in the exact same boat. I had to google how to fill out the 8962 because i had no idea and did not want to pay for another service after already paying for Turbo...I sent the letter in and have not heard a single thing since then. No idea if it even got to the IRS or what.

CF16

Is there any timeline on this? Or we just sit and hope that the IRS will get to us at some point in 2019....

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies