Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nv1975

Amend 1120s to 1120 using turbo tax 2018

Hi,

I got a letter from IRS that I have filed 1120s instead of 1120. I remember selecting s-crop while filing for FEIN.  What do you think the best approach would be? should I ask IRS 2013-30 to approve my s-corp? or should I just amend with 1120? If amend is the better approach , how do I do that in Turbotax 2018? I have Turbotax business 2018 premier.

Regards

Naveen.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@nv1975 wrote:

how do I do that in Turbotax 2018? I have Turbotax business 2018 premier.

I hope you meant to write that you have TurboTax Business (there is no such product as Business premier). I have to presume you do or else you would not have been able to prepare an 1120 for a C corporation.

Regardless, you can late file a Form 2553 (link to form below) and hope that the IRS will accept your excuse for filing late, but you should absolutely follow the IRS instructions you received to the letter. 

Form 2553: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2553.pdf

[note that you can prepare the form in TurboTax Business but you have to print it out and mail it, anyway]

You can also not simply "amend with 1120" in such a manner that you wind up with an S corporation return. Rather, in TurboTax Business you have to start a completely new return after selecting S Corporation (Form 1120S) as the type of return you want to file.

Although the IRS already is aware that you filed the wrong type of return. You might also want to consider filing an amended 1120 to essentially "zero out" the original return. Again, however, you should follow IRS instructions and, if in doubt, contact them directly and inquire as to exactly how they would like you to handle the matter.

Finally, you should seriously consider consulting with a tax professional for this entire matter so that it gets resolved correctly.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

@nv1975 wrote:

how do I do that in Turbotax 2018? I have Turbotax business 2018 premier.

I hope you meant to write that you have TurboTax Business (there is no such product as Business premier). I have to presume you do or else you would not have been able to prepare an 1120 for a C corporation.

Regardless, you can late file a Form 2553 (link to form below) and hope that the IRS will accept your excuse for filing late, but you should absolutely follow the IRS instructions you received to the letter. 

Form 2553: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2553.pdf

[note that you can prepare the form in TurboTax Business but you have to print it out and mail it, anyway]

You can also not simply "amend with 1120" in such a manner that you wind up with an S corporation return. Rather, in TurboTax Business you have to start a completely new return after selecting S Corporation (Form 1120S) as the type of return you want to file.

Although the IRS already is aware that you filed the wrong type of return. You might also want to consider filing an amended 1120 to essentially "zero out" the original return. Again, however, you should follow IRS instructions and, if in doubt, contact them directly and inquire as to exactly how they would like you to handle the matter.

Finally, you should seriously consider consulting with a tax professional for this entire matter so that it gets resolved correctly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies