Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is my QBI deduction limited?

Why is my QBI deduction limited to "20% of taxable income net of capital gain" if there is no capital gain?

Why not the "20% of QBI from this business", since there is no capital gain?

Is this a bug in TurboTax logic?  Or is there something I don't understand?  If so, please explain.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

The QBI deduction is 20% of the lesser of:

• taxable income - capital gains/dividends OR
  • qualified business income

The deduction amount depends on the taxpayer's total taxable income, which includes wages, interest, capital gains (etc.) in addition to income generated by the business.  Once the taxable income reaches or exceeds $170,050 ($340,100 if filing jointly), the type of business also comes into play.

At incomes below that level, the deduction is 20% of either taxable income (minus capital gains and dividends) or the QBI, whichever is less.

At higher income levels, the deduction is reduced or eliminated, depending on the nature of the business.   

To see how the deduction was calculated, view Form 8995.   Line 15 will show your deduction.  It is the lesser amount from Line 10 (20% of QBI) and Line 14 (20% of taxable income).   In the example below, the deduction is 1,047 (based on QBI) or 370 (based on taxable income), so I get the lower amount, $370 as a QBI deduction.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

The QBI deduction is 20% of the lesser of:

• taxable income - capital gains/dividends OR
  • qualified business income

The deduction amount depends on the taxpayer's total taxable income, which includes wages, interest, capital gains (etc.) in addition to income generated by the business.  Once the taxable income reaches or exceeds $170,050 ($340,100 if filing jointly), the type of business also comes into play.

At incomes below that level, the deduction is 20% of either taxable income (minus capital gains and dividends) or the QBI, whichever is less.

At higher income levels, the deduction is reduced or eliminated, depending on the nature of the business.   

To see how the deduction was calculated, view Form 8995.   Line 15 will show your deduction.  It is the lesser amount from Line 10 (20% of QBI) and Line 14 (20% of taxable income).   In the example below, the deduction is 1,047 (based on QBI) or 370 (based on taxable income), so I get the lower amount, $370 as a QBI deduction.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies