Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

derrynane

Where do i go in TT Self-Employed to enter work travel expenses using the federal per diem we have used previously (The new rules do not apply to self-employed people)?

Apparently, people who get W-2's can no longer use this method, but a dropdown box said the new law exempted self-employed people. Do i just look it up and calculate it, then input the locations and calculations on each line of the Travel Expenses, or should i use the "50% deduction" or "100% deduction" ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Where do i go in TT Self-Employed to enter work travel expenses using the federal per diem we have used previously (The new rules do not apply to self-employed people)?

If you are a sole proprietor / self employed, you can only use the Per Diem rate for meals and incidental expenses. You cannot use the Per Diem rate to deduct your lodging expenses, however, you can still deduct your legitimate business lodging expenses using the actual method.

Businesses can temporarily deduct 100% beginning January 1, 2021

The Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service today issued Notice 2021-25 PDF providing guidance under the Taxpayer Certainty and Disaster Relief Act of 2020. The Act added a temporary exception to the 50% limit on the amount that businesses may deduct for food or beverages. The temporary exception allows a 100% deduction for food or beverages from restaurants.

Beginning January 1, 2021, through December 31, 2022, businesses can claim 100% of their food or beverage expenses paid to restaurants as long as the business owner (or an employee of the business) is present when food or beverages are provided and the expense is not lavish or extravagant under the circumstances.

Where can businesses get food and beverages and claim 100%?

Under the temporary provision, restaurants include businesses that prepare and sell food or beverages to retail customers for immediate on-premises and/or off-premises consumption. However, restaurants do not include businesses that primarily sell pre-packaged goods not for immediate consumption, such as grocery stores and convenience stores.

Additionally, an employer may not treat certain employer-operated eating facilities as restaurants, even if these facilities are operated by a third party under contract with the employer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies