Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What needs to be included for split use property (business vs. personal use)?

I recently moved my accommodation into my business’s building. Roughly 10% of the buildings space is for my personal accommodation and 90% of the building is the business. Other than rent and utilities, what business expenses do I need to apply the 10% to for personal use (I.e. wood pellet purchase for the pellet stove which provides heat in the building)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Katie-P
Employee Tax Expert

Hi @EveWolters,

Thanks so much for participating in our Ask the Experts Event today. I'd be happy to help you!

Your question relates to the Home Office Deduction. I will provide a resource below to a great article, but first, I want to highlight a few areas:

• In order to claim this deduction, the area you use for the business must be used exclusively and regularly for the business; it also needs to be the principal place of business.
  • Taxpayers who qualify to take this deduction are allowed two choices: the simplified method or actual expenses.
  • The simplified method will not provide a deduction if the business has a loss in a given tax year. The actual expense method will not increase a loss, but any amounts that can't be deducted in the current year due to a loss will at least carry forward to a future tax year.
  • If you use the simplified method: the deduction is $5 per square foot of office space, up to a maximum of 300 square feet.
  • If you use the actual expenses and rent the space, you can deduct the rent and utilities (including pellets purchased for the stove). The actual deduction will be calculated based on the business square footage vs. the total square footage of the space you are renting.

Here are two great resources for you to check out:

I hope this information is helpful! I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you have any follow-up questions. Thank you again for your question @EveWolters!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your quick response, I have reviewed the two options and I am not sure how to apply either. My business is a gym and I moved into a room at the back of the gym. So the primary use and space used is by the gym. My personal room takes up 84sq ft of the building square footage which is 1600sq feet. I don’t think I could use the simplified method because the business takes up more than 300sq. Ft, and I am not sure if the second option is applicable since I moved into the business instead of having the business in my home… 

thank you for your help. @Katie-P 

Katie-P
Employee Tax Expert

Hi @EveWolters,

You can still take the deduction. If I were you, I would use the actual expense method, not the simplified. You will then be able to deduct the majority of your rent and utilities. Does that help?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, thank you, Katie

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies