Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What are the steps to correctly enter a 1099-MISC form for an employer sponsored student loan repayment program?

After entering 1099-MISC into TT, it appears to default into another section for your own business and is taxable.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

What are the steps to correctly enter a 1099-MISC form for an employer sponsored student loan repayment program?

The student loan repayment program is not taxable up to $5,250 in 2022.  If the amount you received is less than that, your employer should not have reported the payment on any form and they need to void your 1099-MISC.  If they paid more than that, the excess over $5,250 should be reported on a 1099-NEC or, more appropriately, your W-2.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks Alicia

As a follow up to your reply, what happens if the employer is not able to void the 1099? As the amount is $5000 (ie less than the $5250 threshold) would the IRS then tax it? 

Thanks!

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Yes, amounts reported on a 1099-MISC are taxable income to the recipient.  If you do not report the income on your tax return the IRS will likely adjust your return and add the taxable income.

@dkeone11

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi @AliciaP1 

As a follow up to an earlier correspondence thread this year, it would seem my employer may likely decline to rescind the 1099-MISC form for their student loan repayment program ($5,000). This, despite having 7 months to do so given the tax exemption granted for my area (due 10/16/23). 

I want to file my taxes in Turbo Tax, but each time I attempt I cannot seem to avoid having the 1099-MISC not come up as my own person business, which then is taxable. What is the best way to proceed filing my taxes with an erroneous 1099-MISC that my employer will not rescind? 

I’m afraid this may trigger an audit. 

Many thanks! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies