Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Volunteering expenses

I volunteer (as a swimming official) and incur some significant expenses (air travel, meals, lodging, local mileage, etc.).  I often spend over 500 hours annually on decks and helping to train newer officials. Rarely am I reimbursed (if I get anything, it's often a Starbucks gift card).  Can I get any credit for spending both time and money for this volunteer work when doing my taxes?  And, if so, how do I record this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Volunteering expenses

Only charity work can be deducted if you are itemizing. You did not mention charity work. Only work with certified charities counts as volunteering. Otherwise, you have a hobby and social life. See Charities and Their Volunteers.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
maglib
Level 11

Volunteering expenses

@Gagljo   all your costs you incur that are not reimbursed are considered cash donations to the charity if they are a recognized charity by the IRS. You also can get credit for the miles driven. Make sure to keep copious notes, receipts, etc  and have letters from the charity acknowledging your donations.  I would also notify the charity of your expenses incurred so they are documented.  You can't infer any salary though so time is not reimbursable.   You can even claim 50% of meals cost while away from home as cash donations.  

Each entity is considered separately.  Thank you for donating your time.

You will only get the benefit of charitable deductions though if you meet the threshold to itemize deductions.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies