Hardworking-lil-Piggy

Unemployed Independent Contractor + Artist

I have been unemployed since July 2021, but I was able to take on independent contractor work with the Appen platform for the past 6 months. I make about $1.2k/month working as an independent contractor. My income from Appen is transferred through Payoneer and received in my PayPal account. No taxes or fees are collected from this income. I have never had to file taxes for this kind of unemployed work, so I'm not sure how to estimate the percentage of my income I should set aside to save so I am prepared to pay my dues when required. I heard that some independent contractors have to file taxes 4 times a year rather than solely before tax day, too... So my first two questions are:

How do I calculate the amount I should save from my income to actually afford to pay taxes, and how would I know if I'm included in this bunch who have to pay 4 times a year?

Lastly, I am an artist that accepts commission payments through PayPal. This is more of a side-hustle hobby to keep me afloat while I continue my job search since I only make about $100-400/month with it. Some months I earn nothing at all. 

So, my last question is would I be required to report my art commission income as well-- if so how would I report it?

😳Thank you for the help

EricE_CPA

As an independent contractor, you are self-employed and are considered by the IRS as operating a small business doing what you doing such as an Artist

You can use TurboTax Home & Business to file your tax return.

Read this article for more information on filing as a Self-employed contractor Reporting Self-Employment Business Income and Deductions

See this article on How to Determine What to Pay and When Estimated taxes

Use this Estimated tax calculator calculator  

You would report this as Other Income and not as apart of your self-employed independent contractor income.

EricE_CPA